Detailed exploration in the polymetal zone of Meshkinshahr
By: Behruz Osvadi,
Madankav Consulting Engineers
Industries and Mines Organization of Ardebil
The study area is located 25 Km away from northwest of Meshkinshahr in the Ardebil Province. It is situated between 47 33/ 40" to 47 33' 77" E and 38 33' 10" to 38 33' 56"N. the area that is more than one square kilometer form part of the Lahroud geology sheet (1:100000). The zone is bounded in the mountainous zone at northeast of Doust Beiglu village.
Probably the first recorded observations are for Billy Fraize whom described the rocks of the area (dark blue rocks, brown porphyry rocks and compact limestones) in their notes of travel from Tehran to Tiflis at 1826. Then Herman Abikh the german geologist (1840-1841) studied the geology of Savalan and Caucuses. The studied continued in the 19th century. The modern geological studies were done by Russian powers between 1940 and 1946, during occupation of Azarbaijan. Only little was published from those studies. Between 1950 and 1952, preliminary geology studies were done by the geologists of the Iranian Petroleum Company. Then Alberti, a professor from Italian Universities and his colleges studied the volcanism, petrography and mineralogy of northwest Azarbaijan in detail and first time identified the Eocene and Oligocene alkali basalts. Lescuyer & Riou and Babakhani prepared the 1:250000 and 1:100000 geology maps of the area. At 1971, the area was studied by the geologists of GSI. The related reports are available at GSI.
The current study was aimed to investigate in the area on the scale 1:1000. Carried out activities include:
- Determination of the proper zone for detailed studies on the base of previous works
- 1:1000 topography mapping
- 1:1000 geological and mineral mapping
- Assessment of structural geology and tectonic of the area
- Geochemical survey for gold and associated elements through lithogeochemical sampling
- Determination of the relation between alteration and mineralization in the studied area
- Evaluation of present erosional surface of geochemical anomalies in relation to main bodies of deposit
- Determination of the genesis and replacement of elements
- Suggestions for further studies
The report includes details of the study.