Remote sensing studies for mineral prospection in the Esfahan Province (20000 Km2)
Based on a contract between Kan-Iran Consulting Engineers and Industries and Mines Organization of Esfahan, 20000 square kilometers of the Esfahan Province was selected for remote sensing studies by the aim of mineral prospection. The study area is located between 49 45' to 51 45' E and 32 45' to 33 45' N. After acquiring the satellite data, it was corrected for geometrical and atmospheric errors and then processed for identification of linear-ring structures, volcanic and plutonic bodies, alteration zones, contact metamorphism and distinction of carbonate rocks from salt and mud flats. Used data include ETM Landsat7 for regional assessment and Aster for local prospection.
Two field surveys were conducted for controlling the identified zones. The final result of the study can be summarized as several mineralized zones that include
- First selected zone that is located between Qamsar, Abyaneh, Joshaghan and Kuhestan-e Emamzade.
- Moestan iron deposit, located 3 Km away from SE of Qohrud. It contains skarn type mineralization in the contact of granodiorite body with the Lower Cretaceous limestone
- Cu-Pb-Zn indication of Chaltala, 2 Km away from Qohrud, having old workings, stockwork mineralization in the granite
- Darreh-Rahim iron deposit, located 5 Km away from the NW of Qohrud. Skarn deposit in the contact of granite with Eocene limestone.
- Absardeh iron deposit, located 8 Km far from NE of Kamu, skarn deposit in the contact of granite with limestone.
- Pb-Zn-Cu-Ba indication, in the Jahaq-Abyane-Maravand 3-end way, Eocene volcanics show mineralization along a normal fault.
- Amrud Pb-Zn abandoned mine, 5.5 Km away from SW of Qohrud. Eocene volcanics show mineralization along a vertical fault.