| Age ||Subject: Resources & Reserves|
1. A unit of geologic time shorter than an epoch and longer than a subage, during which the rocks of a stage were found.
2. An informal term for a length of geologic time during which the rocks of any stratigraphic unit were formed.
3. A division of earth history of unspecified duration, marked by a dominant or important life form, as the "age of fishes".
4. The time during which a particular event occured, or one that was marked by special physical conditions, e.g. the "Ice Age".
5. The position of anything in the geologic time scale, e.g. "rocks of Miocene age".
Reference: R.L. Bates & J.A. Jackson, DICTIONARY OF GEOLOGICAL TERMS, Third Edition, American Geological Institute, 1983.
| || |